Fancy Date Night At Home: Restaurant Style Mussels Recipe
I love date night! What couple doesn’t? You get a break from the kids to spend time with your significant other. We can’t always secure a babysitter or afford to go out to a four star restaurant. So why not create a romantic scene in your own home?! With Valentines Day fast approaching, this is the perfect alternative to going out to a crowded restaurant.
Tips for a Successful Date Night at Home
- First put the kids to bed a little earlier than their normal bedtime. You don’t want to deal with the children interrupting your intimate dinner every five minutes.
- Next set the mood! Light a few candles and dim the lights!
- Enjoy cooking the meal together. This will be a fun moment to bond and communicate before eating.
- Be sure to mute and put away all mobile devices. This is the time to focus on your significant other, not on social media!
- Lastly, make sure you have rested. Mom’s can get tired easily throughout the day. Your spouse won’t appreciate you yawning over dinner.
One of my favorite meals for date night at home are these delicious, restaurant style mussels. Mussels may look intimidating, but they are easy to make and really good. They are actually inexpensive too. I buy a few pounds fresh from my local farmers market for less than $10. Fresh mussels can be sandy, so you’ll have to soak them for about 30 minutes in cool water with salt and flour. Afterwards rinse, and brush them, then they’ll be ready to be prepared! Aside from the soaking, and prepping the veggies, mussels cook pretty quickly. Sometimes I serve the mussels as an appetizer and as our main dish we will have lobster or steak. It just depends on how fancy you want your date night, and how hungry you are.
- 3-4 pounds of fresh mussels
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 shallots diced
- 6 garlic minced garlic cloves
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley chopped
- First soak mussels in cool salt water and flour for 30 minutes.
- Next, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook shallots and garlic until translucent.
- Then add tomatoes, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Next add mussels and cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until mussels have opened.
- Discard any unopened mussels.
- Pour in dish and garnish with chopped parsley.
This restaurant style mussels recipe is very buttery and satisfying. It also makes you look like a professional chef in the kitchen! What are your plans for this Valentines Day?