In this post I offer 10 ways to keep the flame burning in your marriage after the babies arrive. Having been married almost 12 years, I know the dynamics of a relationship change after having children. It takes a little more effort and time to keep the marriage fresh and like new.
Remember being married should be and is fun!
1. Don’t stop dating! Make time for regular date nights to catch up with one another without the children. Make sure to not talk about anything kid related either. It won’t hurt!
2. Don’t have the same bed time as the children. Put the kids to bed earlier so you can have alone time as a couple.
3. Take a vacation just the two of you, kid free.
4. Be creative with intimacy.
5. Can’t find a babysitter? Have date night at home after putting the kids to bed a little earlier.
6. If you’re a stay at home mom, please don’t look like it! Make sure you take the time to keep yourself looking put together. Put those sweats and yoga pants far, far away.
7. When you’re with your spouse, make sure to keep the phones/laptops/iPads put away. Give each other your full attention. No one wants to talk while the other is checking text messages. It sends a signal that what the other person has to say is unimportant.
8. Don’t burden one another with the days problems as soon as you see/talk to one another after work. Have time to wind down and take a breather first.
9. Stay light hearted. Joke with one another, laugh. It’s good for the soul.
10. Always see the beauty in your spouse instead of their faults.