Soul Food Sunday Dinner
Growing up in Chicago, Sunday Dinner was always something special that either my Grandma or Aunt cooked. They normally made dinner right after breakfast! Being that my Grandma was from Columbus, GA “Soul Food” was a mainstay in our home. The meals ranged every week from fried chicken (anyone that knows me knows my Grandma made THE best fried chicken) to black eyed peas or what many know to be called “Hoppin John.” One of my favorite Soul Food Sunday Recipes is Mac N Cheese!
This mac n cheese recipe is super rich and creamy! I always have to eat a little bit before I serve it to the family because I can’t wait to eat it. It’s extra cheesy, and still moist. One thing I dislike is mac n cheese that dries up in the oven. This mac n cheese is far from that! It’s a hit with everyone on Sunday’s and perfect for special occasion dinners when you have a lot of people over.
- 1 lb of elbow macaroni
- 1 quart of half & half
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar
- 2 cups of mild cheddar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Boil macaroni noodles in about 8 cups of water until Al Dente
- Strain macaroni and set aside
- Warm quart of half and half on low heat, making sure it doesn't boil
- In a pot melt stick of butter
- Pour flour into melted butter whisking constantly
- Once the flour and butter is smooth, add warm half and half
- Continue whisking until thickened
- Remove from heat and add salt & pepper
- Stir in 2 cups of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of mild cheddar
- Combine macaroni with the roux
- Transfer to baking dish
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar over the top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and top is slightly browned
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Creating this post makes me want to rush to the kitchen to make more!
It’s a family favorite, and everyone loves when I make it for Sunday Dinner.
Does your family have any Sunday Dinner traditions? Do you like Soul Food? What’s your favorite thing to eat for Sunday Dinner?